Yesterday, on May 4, 2021, the gloriously strange wormhole known as Yahoo Answers shut down for good. Initially, Yahoo Answers was set up in 2005 as a community-driven question-answer platform. But over the years, it has become a true testament to the absurd wonder of people on the internet.
It became less of a resource for community-driven answers and more of a long-standing internet meme. Many people found a sense of community at Yahoo Answers and were sad about the news. So in memory of Yahoo Answers, we’ve compiled some of our favorite questions and answers, ranging from hilarious to mildly concerning:
1. An unexpected answer to a classic question
Yes, it is ridiculous to think a tree could grow inside you when it’s CLEARLY going to be a vine.
2. Yep, that works!
Simple. Effective. To the point with these answers! And it definitely does sound like James!
3. It’s Yahoo Answers or nothing for this user
I suppose that’s one way of staying in touch?
4. Topical and slightly sad
Ouch, too soon. But also painfully accurate since we all moved to Reddit.
5. Why Yahoo Answers is really shutting down
This person has to go elsewhere for crime tips now.
6. Unbaking a cake is not recommended
That sounds like a tough clean-up!
7. More information is required to answer this complicated question.
At least the poster isn’t a vampire.
8. This classic example of a hilarious Yahoo Answers question also has some great answers
What a helpful user!
9. Simple advice
Yep, makes sense.
10. This user may have had bad timing
Just a little bit late.
11. Love the sincerity of the answers on this one
When was the last time YOU had hazel eyes?
12. You can get answers to anything here
It’s all relative!
13. Charles was not in a very helpful mood
My question is: Why go through the trouble of clicking on and answering someone’s question, only to tell them to figure it out themselves? We may never know.
14. This user has a clear idea of their limits
15. Have you ever considered this?
Did the asker never consider this? I’m curious. And the answer… fair enough!
16. Straight from the dog’s mouth!
Dogs use Yahoo! Answers. Truly a magical platform.
17. This user will be waiting for a long time
Maybe one day their time will come.
18. This one made me feel a little inadequate
Does making lists of funny questions on Yahoo Answers count?
19. Love this conversation
How indeed. If only we knew too.
20. Answering questions with questions
Unanswerable is right.
21. And finally, my favorite
Take a bow, Yahoo Answers!
I had a great time collecting these questions and answers—even if my faith in humanity was tested a couple of times. I’m not too sad about Yahoo Answers shutting down because if I know anything it’s this: There will always be a place for randomness on the Internet.
Supreeta Balasubramanian grew up in Dubai, studied in Dubai, India and London and now lives in Chennai, India. She has a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science Engineering and an MA in Creative Writing and Publishing. Her true passions are proofreading, editing, writing and reading. She enjoys words and would love to live the rest of her life playing with them!