Criminology as a social sciences subject itself is relatively new, in comparison to its psychology and sociology counterparts. However, unlike the two aforementioned subjects, criminology is quite possibly the only subject that you cannot get over-enthusiastic about without looking like a complete and utter psycho.
Yes, we are weird, so criminology students, of the past, present and future, and even those who are curious, read on and let’s embrace our weird.
1. You have to explain what your degree entails – to everyone!
If psychology is the study of the ‘psyche’ and sociology is the study of ‘society’, what do people think the study of criminology is? Penguins?
2. You are paranoid about being detained due to your internet history.
I swear, my Google search on extremist propaganda is for academic purposes only!
3. You know how to kill someone with a spoon.
This is not the only weird way you know how to kill someone.
4. And you also know how to get away with murder.
Annelise Keating has got nothing on you.
5. You question your sanity
Is it normal to find crime so hypnotically pleasing?
6. You are discreetly impressed by the unsolved crimes
7. But you also believe you can do better when they are solved.
It’s those stupid mistakes like sterilizing the bathtub after dismembering a body that makes us annoyed! You had one job!
8. You turn into Sherlock Holmes when new cases are reported.
My dear, Watson! We have a crime to solve, even though no-one told us too!
9. Serial killers are your guilty pleasure.
You know their backstories, their victims, their motive and everything there is to know about them like they are your creation.
10. You over-analyze crime podcasts.
Don’t mind me questioning everything these hosts say and claim.
11. Your reading material is…questionable?
History of Serial Killing. Dangerous Brown Men. Gender Crimes and Justice. Just a little lighthearted reading for the morning commute to give all the other passengers a heart-attack.
12. The highlight of your semester was a field trip to a prison.
There is nothing like a day out with murderers.
13. You question every crime statistic.
We need details over where you got the information from and how accurate it is.
14. Being judged by everyone for your “dead-end” subject
I didn’t realize contributing to the study of criminal behavior and activity was a dead end?
15. Ultimately, you are too unfit to be a criminal, so you help catch them instead.
You have to contribute to society somehow!
Have I convinced you that studying Criminology is awesome and not just for weirdos?