“Why aren’t you married yet?”
As a single woman in my twenties, it’s common to be bombarded by marriage questions from my aunts and other elders in the family. They probably think of it as a good conversation starter, but it can be extremely personal for some people. While most are excited to attend a wedding, we single ladies have to be ready to face the dreadful interrogation from the elders. When we’re too tired to give them the same answer, the only thing we could do is smile awkwardly or shrug.
But can we turn the table and let them be speechless by our answers this time? Absolutely yes! Next time when you’re being asked the same question again, feel free to use any of these savage comebacks to get back at them.
1. “Tomorrow. I’m getting married tomorrow.”
Did you get the invitation?
2. “I did. Were you there at my wedding?”
Oh, you weren’t invited… awkward.
3. “I’m waiting for your cheque.”
I thought you were paying for my wedding. You know, since you keep asking.
4. “It’s on February 31st.”
Save the date!
5. “Relax, I’m too young to settle down.”
I’m only 26, what’s the rush?
6. “I’m still waiting for The One.”
But he’s currently swimming across the Pacific Ocean to reach me. *sigh*
7. “When I finally learn how to cook biryani.”
I’ve only just learned how to make a roti.
8. “I was going to, but Prince Harry is taken, so…”
I’m sorry but I’m too heartbroken to talk about it right now. *cries hysterically*
9. “My boyfriend wanted to, but then his wife found out…”
10. “I’m aiming for the title of CEO first, then wife.”
Do you want me to apply cold water to the burn?
11. “I was. Until today.”
*winks at a random stranger*
12. “I’m currently in a relationship with food.”
Have you met my new boyfriend, naan? I made it myself…
13. “I will, when people stop asking that.”
Why don’t you ask me about my job promotion instead?
14. “Single is in.”
It’s a new trend for millennial ladies now, you know?