Witchcraft is becoming increasingly popular among millennials. Many millennials are identifying as witches in terms of culture, religion or spirituality. More and more of us are leaving atheism and monotheistic religions in favor of Paganism, Wicca and other forms of witchcraft. In 2009, ABC noted that 342,000 people identified as Wiccans, compared to 134,000 in 2001. In more recent years, the #witchblr tag on Tumblr and the #witch tag on Instagram have both become incredibly popular. News outlets from The Guardian to the Pacific Standard have noticed the increase in people who identify as witches, particularly young women.
Why is it so popular? It could be because we’ve come to associate witchcraft with feminism and equality, or maybe because we’re looking to the otherworldly to solve the problems faced by our generation. It could also be because iconic pieces of pop culture like Harry Potter, The Craft, and Charmed have piqued our curiosity when it comes to magic. Either way, witches are all over social media, and more and more people are becoming interested in the esoteric.
All witches are different because there are so many different traditions, factions, and philosophies – but most of us still have a great deal in common! If you’re one of the many millennials who’ve come to embrace witchcraft, you’ll probably relate to most, if not all, of these situations.
1. When someone breaks your BFF’s heart, you have to resist the urge to curse them.
Most witches don’t believe in cursing others, but karma spells are usually fair game. Don’t test us!
2. Your skeptical friends bash astrology – but then lose their keys and hook up with their exes during Mercury retrograde.
I TOLD YOU SO.
3. You’ve had to postpone a spell because you can’t seem to find the right materials anywhere.
How am I meant to make a dreaming tea if mugwort is never in stock in my town?
4. You invite your Tinder dates over to read their tea leaves or tarot cards.
Witchcraft and chill. What better way to get to know your date?
5. You try to sneakily find out your crush’s time of birth so that you can calculate their natal chart.
Just ask them straight up, and tell them you’re into astrology. Their reaction will be more interesting than their rising sign, I promise.
6. … and then you cry when you realize their chart is totally incompatible with yours
I believe wholeheartedly in astrology, except for when it tells me some hard truths.
7. You have longed to find a coven of your own.
Some witches, known as solitary witches, practice on their own. The rest of us prefer practicing magic with a coven.
8. You get annoyed when people call the #MeToo movement a “witch hunt.”
Abusers are not witches. Comparing a time where women were abused and murdered to a time when abusers were being held accountable is ridiculous.
9. You spend all year looking forward to Halloween.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Not only is Halloween around the time of some sacred witchy festivals, it’s also a great opportunity to be surrounded by spooky, otherworldly aesthetics.
10. You have to hold yourself back when a guest puts their keys or coffee mugs on your altar.
It’s not a table – it’s a super sacred space! Don’t pollute it with your bad energy.
11. Lana Del Rey’s new space witch persona truly speaks to your soul.
The idea of Lana living in the Hollywood sign and blessing us with intergalactic, witchy tunes is so comforting. Nothing but respect for MY president!
12. You panic when you suddenly remember that the moon is full – and you haven’t left your crystals out to recharge.
Waiting for a whole new month to cleanse and recharge your crystals is too inconvenient.
13. Your bookshelf is full of esoteric books and witchy fiction.
The ultimate dream is to own a library full of books about runes, Paganism, Wicca, tarot, herbs, astrology, sigils, numerology, moon phases, candle magic, crystals, and more.
14. You wanted your cat to be a familiar… but they keep knocking things off your altar.
They might not always be great sidekicks when it comes to magic, but cats are truly some of the best companions ever.
15. You spend too much time scrolling through the #witchblr tag on Tumblr.
…and mentally bookmarking spells, rituals, and books to try.
16. When it’s Friday the 13th, you’re both excited and scared.
I never know whether I should feel very lucky or very unlucky. Either way, I’ll definitely pet a black kitty if it crosses my path!
17. You love casting protection spells over your friends and watching them live their best lives.
Even if your friends don’t believe in witchcraft, there’s something beautiful about lighting a candle for them while wishing them well.
18. You’re tired of people using the word “witch” as a pejorative.
If you call me a witch, I’ll take it as a compliment. Thanks!
19. Meeting other witches brings you an infinite amount of joy.
There’s nothing like coming out of the broom closet to someone who’s also witchy.
20. There’s nothing more satisfying to you than getting a spell just right.
Not to mention how smug you feel when you figure it out!
21. Misrepresentation of witches in the media upsets you.
Most of us aren’t remotely evil or even scary. Plenty of witches try to use their powers for the greater good!
22. You have a loving, supportive community.
Even if you practice witchcraft without a coven, there are plenty of witches out there who care about you. The community can be the most magical thing about witchcraft.