1. Your mom’s always asking you to oil your hair
Mothers say that oiling your hair makes it better and longer, but how much longer are you supposed to let it grow?
2. At weddings, you have to make a choice between wanting to flaunt your hair or the dress
This lehenga cost me a lot of money, the pretty embroidery and sequins better not go to waste just because my hair’s covering half of it.
3. People want to try intricate and fancy braids on your hair
Sure, but only if you promise to stick around for the detangling. Yeah, didn’t think so.
4. Long hair = more rishtas
Your mother and aunties won’t stop saying it. Somehow, the length of your hair determines the quantity and quality of the marriage proposals you get.
5. Keeping your hair tied and covered so you don’t get nazar
Desi aunties are always giving out compliments to your hair with a hint of jealousy. Please say Mashallah.
6. You get asked which hair oil you used to get your hair to grow that long
Do I look like a live hair oil advertising campaign to you?
7. Envying white girls and anyone who can grow their hair long without having to deal with the unmanageable texture of Desi hair
We get it. You have #longhairproblems too.
8. Styled your hair? Good luck keeping it that way when you head out
Our textured hair is just more prone to frizziness, and the humidity in Desi countries doesn’t help it.
9. Coloring your hair is a huge no from your parents
If you have brightly colored hair, you may as well be an outlaw because it’s all the same to Desi people. Why color your hair when you can have the same boring black/brown hair for the rest of your lives amirite?
10. You can never stand out at family events because all of your cousins have the same long hair
No, it’s not a trend, our mothers just happen to be that persistent.
11. People are always telling you about all the different ways you can style your hair.
Let me make a rough guess, around 95% of those are braids and 100% of those will make my arms hurt? Thanks, I’ll pass.
12. Your mother is your personal hair manager
Everything you wish to do with your hair needs to be checked with her first and the answer to a lot of things is ‘no’.
13. There are only a few hair ties that are able to handle the thickness and length of your hair
Those thin and tiny elastic bands don’t serve any purpose in your life. Scrunchies are your hair’s best friends.
14. Having to listen to people wishing their hair was as long as yours
You know my name but not the hours I spend on this hair to make it look socially acceptable.
15. Your hair is in a horsetail so often, you are taken aback by its length every time you let it down
Where did it come from where did it go?
16. Even wondering about getting your hair cut can get you into trouble
You guys realize it’s my hair on my head right? This also works the other way around when…
17. ..Someone suggests that you get your hair cut and it offends you
Firstly, how dare you? and secondly, how dare you?
18. You love the compliments made to your hair
Let’s face it ladies, our hair does look good when we give it a little TLC.
19. The brushing of your hair is a task that asks for a lot
Recipe for good-looking hair: one detangling comb, hair serum (optional), a lot of extra time on your hands, a good mood with no distractions and the willpower to go through it all.
20. You get close to getting your hair cut but never go through with it
Because despite everything, your hair is a huge part of your life and you know you will regret cutting it short only a minute after you’ve done it.