Weddings are important occasions in almost every culture, but Desis elevate this occasion from a one-day event to what can easily go on to a 7-day occasion. We love weddings, we love dancing, and we absolutely love bhangra. All this comes in handy when the bride and the groom’s sides of the family have an epic dance-off in an event called “Mehndi” (translates to Henna). Here’s the ultimate Desi wedding 101 mix. Keep the tissues ready, it’ll be rukhsati time soon.
1. Rab Rakha || Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal (Love Breakups Zindagi)
This song screams Desi weddings. It’s an incredibly feel-good song and gives the most positive vibes ever.
2. Kabira || Arijit Singh & Harshdeep Kaur (Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani)
This Arijit Singh masterpiece is an all-time favorite of mine. It’s great to listen to, but it’s also perfect for every Desi wedding. This has 2 versions, and the Rekha Bhardwaj & Tochi Raina is great but Arijit’s version more fitting for a wedding.
3. Chitta Kukkar || Neha Kakkar and Gippy Grewal
This is probably the oldest Mehndi song. I’m pretty sure it’s been sung and danced on, when the first-ever Mehndi was held (whenever that was). Play this remix to pump it up or go with the classic, and watch the older ladies in the room bring the house down.
4. Mehndi Ki Raat || Models
We’re going old-school with this track, because of course if it’s a Mehndi night, how can you not sing this?
5. Desi Thumka || Nouman Khalid ft. Osama Com Laude
Now we’re ready to pump it up, and I assure you this one is bound to get everyone on their feet. It’s just that catchy. It’s also an easier song to dance to because you can look up Mehndi dances and this one is definitely going to be there.
6. Angreji Beat || Gippy Grewal Feat. Honey Singh
This is addictively catchy, and you’ll find yourself playing it in your head. Don’t be shocked if you can sing the stupid Honey Singh rap word-to-word; it happens to everyone, knowing lyrics to a song that annoys you,
7. Shakar Wandaan || Ho Mann Jahaan
Songs in movie weddings have a probability of definitely becoming actual wedding favorites. Add in signature dance steps, and bingo you’ll have people on wedding events doing the exact same steps, which is literally what Shakar Wandaan is.
8. Balam Pichkari || Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani
This one’s more fast-paced, but it’s also great because when it plays, you’re going to want to dance to it even if you haven’t rehearsed for it with your fam/friends.
9. Ballay Ballay || Bin Roye
Slightly slower-paced, but still a pretty upbeat song. If you’re preparing for a Mehndi dance, you’re probably already watching the song video and trying to copy all the stops. ‘Nuff said.
10. Sadi Gali || RDB
There should be a limit on the number of times I can use the word catchy, but this is the last time, I swear. This is THE catchiest song ever, and it is absolutely perfect for a Bhangra. I’ve seen people who don’t even dance get up and get their Bhangra mode on with this one. Is a Desi wedding really complete without this song? [aka the real question that should keep you up at night].
- Rab Rakha Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal 4:41
- Kabira Arijit Singh & Harshdeep Kaur 4:27
- Chitta Kukad Gippy Grewal Ft. Neha Kakkar 3:39
- Mehndi Ki Raat Models 3:42
- Desi Thumka Nouman Khalid Ft. Osama Com Laude 3:34
- Angreji Beat Honey Singh Ft. Gippy 3:30
- Shakar Wandaan Asrar Shah 3:46
- Balam Pichkaru Vishal Dadlani, Shalmali Kholgade 2:45
- Ballay Ballay Abida Parveen, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Ankit Tiwari, Harshdeep Kaur, Rekha Bhardwaj 4:25
- Sadi Gali RDB 3:37