Over the course of Barack Obama’s eight years as president, the Official White House Photographer, Pete Souza, has taken more than two million photographs. Souza took photographs of the President during meetings, international trips, White House visits and more.
Obama has shown me that he could be professional and formal, while also having fun when appropriate. These are the best photos from his presidency because they show his compassionate and friendly character. They represent his devotion to inspiring children and his commitment to helping others.
As Obama’s time in the White House comes to an end, here are twelve of the best photographs Pete Souza took of America’s first black president.
1. President Obama bending over so that a child visiting the White House could see if the President’s hair felt like his.
2. President Obama fist-bumping a custodian in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.
3. President Obama holding up a child dressed in a costume for a Halloween celebration at the White House.
4. President Obama running around the White House with his dog, Bo.
5. A child checking President Obama’s heartbeat during his visit to an elementary school in Washington, D.C.
6. A funny and intimate photo with the First Lady who is wearing his jacket.
7. President Obama jokes around with the child of Press Secretary Josh Earnest during a Halloween celebration at the White House.
8. After a snowstorm hit Washington, D.C., President Obama played in the snow with Sasha and Malia.
9. During a visit to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the President took some time to play soccer with children.
10. With just a few days left of his presidential term, President Obama awarded Vice President Joe Biden the Presidential Medal of Freedom – the highest civilian honor.
11. As Wounded Warriors and their families visited the White House, President Obama played with a baby.
12. President Obama adjusts his bowtie as he rides an elevator in the White House on the day he was sworn in to office.