I am a fat, fashionable grad student, which means I am on a very tight budget. Too many times, I have walked out of stores, frustrated by how expensive plus size clothing can be. Unfortunately, it’s not unusual to see a difference in price between the standard size and plus-size clothing – even if it’s the same design. This phenomenon has come to be referred to as a “fat tax” and can be quite discouraging to the plus-size fashion lover. This summer, however, I am determined to look fly.
Fat tax be damned – below are 10 affordable plus-size summer options that I know I’ll be updating my wardrobe with without breaking the bank.
1. A paisley romper — it’s guaranteed to become your end of summer go-to!
I love rompers because you look cute, and it seems like you put in a lot of effort into your appearance – when in reality, you just tossed on one piece of clothing. The print is cute and summery, and the lace on the back is fun and flirty.
Get it from New York & Company for $19.48 (available in sizes S-2XL).
2. This high-waisted retro bikini set is perfect for turning heads at the pool.
After years of avoiding pools because I was self-conscious of how I looked in a bathing suit, I purchased my first bikini last summer. I wore it to the beach and felt amazing. Now, I am constantly on the look for cute bikinis. Plus, at less than $25 for the total outfit, you can’t beat the price!
Get it from Amazon for $23.99 (available in sizes S-2XL and 7 prints).
3. Rock your adorable bowknot color block dress at a Saturday hangout.
Pair this dress with some cute sandals and a statement necklace and you’re ready for a bottomless mimosa brunch!
Get it from FashionMia for $18.95 (available in sizes S-3XL).
4. A floral gauze skater dress so adorable it won’t ruffle any feathers.
This casual dress is perfect for a weekend around town. Pair it with some Converse for comfort or sky-high heels to make those curvaceous and sexy legs pop.
Get it from Rainbow Shops for $18.99 (available in sizes 1X-3X and 2 prints).
5. This crochet bikini is everything you’ve ever wanted and more.
Honestly, I am not sure how practical a bikini with a crochet overlay is for swimming, but the detail is beautiful. Swimming aside, it’s perfect for slaying the plus-size bikini naysayers while lounging by the pool or on the beach.
Get it from Amazon for $14.88 (available in sizes S-2XL and 3 prints).
6. Wearing these floral shorts add a more *finished* touch to your shorts-and-a-tee outfit.
Nothing says summer like bright floral prints. Plus, who doesn’t love the comfort of an elastic waistband?
Get it from Rainbow Shops for $9.99 (available in sizes S-XL and 3 prints).
7. Lightweight and eye-catching crochet shorts you’ll basically live in all summer.
Fuchsia, lace, and elastic waistband? Could it be any sweeter? These are a must-have for every plus-size fashionista this summer.
Get it from Amazon for $18.98 (available in sizes S-2XL and 20 prints).
8. This chambray shirt dress is perfect for when wearing actual jeans is really not an option.
Dresses are my go-to when I want people to think I put in the effort, but really, I just tossed it on. Add a belt for a pop of color.
Get it from Amazon for $23.99 (available in sizes S-2XL and 28 prints).
9. A high waisted strappy bikini that demands to be featured on your Instagram! Right this second! Now snap away.
Fat women are often told to cover up. This bright bikini lets people know that you don’t care what they think and that you’re here to enjoy your summer!
Get it from Amazon for $16.99 (available in sizes M-5XL and 3 prints).
10. A tulle skirt in a pretty pink that’ll make your whole outfit *pop.*
Have you ever seen a fat Barbie or Disney princess? I would have given anything as a kid to see a fat princess. Now, with this tulle skirt, I can dress up as the fat princess I never saw growing up but was always meant to be.
Get it from Amazon for $26.90 (available in sizes S-5XL and 28 prints).