Let’s face it: mainstream television news has been reduced to shouting matches and fluff. We’ve got Bill Maher, who creates controversy for the sake of it, and his right-wing counterpart Sean Hannity. Thankfully, we had Jon Stewart. Intelligent, funny, fantastic Jon Stewart, a welcome presence among his peers’ bulging eyeballs and forehead veins.
Here are only a few of the reasons we’ll miss him.
1. He managed to intelligently debate notorious foot-in-mouth-er Bill O’Reilly.
In an AMA on Reddit, Stewart was told that the sexual tension between him and O’Reilly was palpable. His response: “Right? It’s really the height differential that keeps us from consummating.”
I firmly believe that anyone who can make a sex joke regarding themselves and Bill O’Reilly is a national treasure.
2. Once he made this glorious analogy involving Fox News and a gross McDonald’s burger.
3. And let’s not forget the time he compared (what CNN believed to be) a hard hitting expose to a “gay speed date gone horribly wrong.” Californigaytion, indeed.
4. My broadcast courses never taught me how to use chyrons and graphics as well as Stewart did. And while discussing Middle Eastern politics, to boot! This man is good at everything.
5. And who can forget the Crossfire incident???
6. Because he’s hip and with the times.
First Colbert, and now Stewart? Why must all the preservers of sanity desert us?
Peruse this compilation of kickass Stewart wisdom while CNN and FOX sigh in relief, knowing they’ll soon be free to propagate their bullshit without consequence.
We’ll miss you, Jon.